You are here
This book is customizable for courses with annual enrollments of 100 students or more.
This full-color, comprehensive, affordable introductory biology manual is appropriate for both majors and nonmajors laboratory courses. All general biology topics are covered extensively, and the manual is designed to be used with a minimum of outside reference material. The activities emphasize the unity of all living things and the evolutionary forces that have resulted in, and continue to act on, the diversity that we see around us today.
About this Product
- Objectives clearly state what students are expected to know by the end of the chapter.
- Introductory material provides context for the material covered in the chapter and helps students apply what they learn.
- Exercises are designed to be safe, interesting, and meaningful.
- New Chapter, Touching the Future: Understanding Biotechnology and Forensics.
- “A Closer Look” sections provide additional detail and context for the topic at hand to help students gain a deeper understanding of the material.
- “Did You Know” sidebars provide interesting tidbits to pique student interest.
- An extensive full-color art and photography program includes many specimen and dissection images, labeled diagrams, cladograms, and helpful life-cycle illustrations. In addition to providing the necessary images to help students work through the lab procedures, the manual also includes hundreds of images of representative organisms, providing ample visual support for the lab.
- Warnings are posted where applicable to make students aware of potential risks when dissecting certain organisms or performing certain experiments.
- Hints & Tips aid students in understanding tricky content areas where attention to fine detail is a necessity.
- Check Your Understanding questions after each exercise ask thought-provoking questions in order to measure student progress throughout the chapter.
- A Chapter Review ends each chapter and provides thoughtful questions to ensure that students understand the overall concepts from the chapter.
Instructor Resources Available: Login to view Instructor Resources
- An online Instructor's Manual contains answers to all of the exercises and electronic access to all of the images in the manual.
- A Computerized Test Bank contains hundreds of questions to help instructors build tests and quizzes that can either be printed or exported to commonly used distance learning platforms.
- All of the images from the lab manual are provided electronically. Images are presented at digital display resolution (150 dpi), intended for use in PowerPoint presentations.
What's New in this Edition
New to this edition of Exploring Biology in the Laboratory, 3e
- New Chapter, Touching the Future: Understanding Biotechnology and Forensics
- New exercises including: Osmosis in Gummy Bears, Germination of Angiosperms, Microanatomy of Lichens, Conductive and Sensorineural Hearing Tests, Senses of Touch, and Listening to the Lungs
- Over 100 new and revised images
- New updated and revised Check Your Understanding and Review Questions throughout